Registrations are arriving daily for the EMDA Fall Convention to be held this November 7-9 in Houston, and new this year, we’re venturing into using more social media to help us promote the Fall Convention and Industry Showcase with a meeting hashtag – #EMDAhouston
In case you were wondering, the Hyatt Regency Houston hotel has remained dry and fully functioning during the storm. The hotel, located downtown, is about 45’ above sea level but the areas around (and the ones with major flooding) are as low as 3’.
A couple of updates from the Houston Convention & Visitors Bureau:
• Houston’s convention campus / Avenida Houston and surrounding hotels sustained no damage (this includes the Hyatt Regency Houston, site of EMDA’s 2017 Fall Convention).
• Both airports are expected to be operational by the end of the week.
We look forward to adding our support to the Houston economy with our Fall Convention in November.
So, we’ve got a hashtag, now what? Here are some dos and don’ts for tweeting at conferences:
- Tweet about sessions. If you are participating in a great roundtable discussion, or are really enjoying listening to Mike Mullane at the Joint Opening Session, tweet about it.
- Tweet about logistical information that others will find helpful. EMDA will be publishing useful logistical information, and if you’ve got more to add, find a great restaurant, know an easy transportation option, etc., let your fellow convention goers know.
- Don’t tweet anything you over people discussing in a private conversation, and don’t tweet a picture of attendees taken without their knowledge. Be courteous and respectful of privacy. Only tweet information that is public.
- Don’t tweet misinformation. Check your facts. Say a person launches a tweet about the price of Wi-Fi at the convention hotel. What they may not realize is that the association had negotiated free Wi-Fi for conference participants. But once she tweeted the incorrect information, it started a tidal wave of nasty comments. The organization suffered unfair negative publicity due to one person who tweeted without checking her facts first. [For the record, EMDA members will receive complimentary Wi-Fi in their sleeping rooms at the Hyatt Regency Houston]
- We can’t wait to see what else members come up with to tweet about — remember to include #EMDAhouston